We are hiring a Media and Communications Officer!
The Gabba Ward office is a small, hardworking, values and culture based team. You’ll be required to work closely with Trina and the rest of the team to identify, create and deliver social media to highlight and amplify Trina’s work in Chambers, with stakeholders and in the community.
With traditional media, social media and other communication channels becoming increasingly intertwined, you’ll work closely with Trina and the Gabba Ward team to ensure that messaging and strategy meet the Councillor’s priorities.
|Job Title||Media and Communications Officer||Position Type||Contractor|
|Location||2/63 Annerley Rd, Woolloongabba||Report To||Trina Massey|
|Wage||$42/hour||Hours||2 days/week - 7.25hrs/day|
|Start Date||20 November 2023 or by negotiation||End date||15 March 2024|
The Media and Communications Officer is responsible for contributing to the Councillor’s social and traditional media presence. This includes, contributing to managing content for social media platforms, providing advice about media messaging and strategy, and collaboratively producing content.
You will be engaged as a private contractor and required to invoice the Gabba Ward Office for services provided. We can support you in navigating this process if required. As a contractor, you won’t have access to paid sick and annual leave or superannuation.
The Gabba Ward Office works hard to create a diverse and inclusive work environment. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply, as are other People of Colour. We specifically encourage women, LGBTIQA+ people, disabled people, and people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide key media and messaging advice, strategy and implementation.
- Contribute to the Councillor’s social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) in consultation with the Councillor and staff team.
- Liaise with Queensland media (field requests, develop and manage relationships with journalists, producers etc)
- Write and distribute media releases, statements, media packs, and opinion articles.
- Use social media analytics to identify effective messaging and help grow the Councillor’s reach and engagement.
- Work with the Councillor to create original content for all social media platforms.
- Highly developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or experience in media relations or as a journalist
- A demonstrated understanding of the Australian media, social media and political landscapes, and passion for progressive politics
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated capacity to comprehend complex issues, think strategically and adapt to changing circumstances
- Ability to work as part of a small team, under time constraints, with a minimum of supervision
- Familiarly with MS Office suite, Google Drive and with social media platforms
How to apply
Please provide your resume including two referees, and a cover letter of no more than one page addressing the selection criteria.
Please submit your application directly to the Gabba Ward Office via [email protected] by Monday 6 November 3pm 2023.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the position call the Gabba Ward Office on 07 3403 2165.